View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 11:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccertese View Post
i can't give medical advice, i'm not a doctor.

not saying this is what's happening to your father but my mother in law started to develop dementia and she would repeat the same things and became very difficult to "manage". started mistrusting everyone and eventually she had to live in a skilled nursing facitliy. so it seems you need to get your father to a doctor but if he's competent in the eyes of the law there's nothing you can do to make him go unless you get him declared incompetent. it seems your mother can't deal with this and your're very busy and out of town. any friends or relatives that can step in? i assume not otherwise you wouldn't be in this position. Can the GP make a house call? Off the top of my head sometimes churches, etc.. are a starting point for advice, even an attorney. And of course the GP. Best of luck, your're in a tough situation. Lurking had some great advice.
My apologies, I didn't mean to imply that that I was seeking specific medical advice. I'm just terribly confused.

My father is difficult because he is very closed minded in many aspects. After his heart attack, he lives as if he got new plumbing and he is good to go. Still smokes like a fiend, does not exercise, hasn't changed a single eating habit. I believe (don't quote me) statistically, heart patients that don't change their lifestyles usually die within 5 years of their bypass surgery. In my mind, triple bypass is a gift and a HUGE wake up call. But that's just me.

Is dementia a symptom/complication of PD? The GP is a mile away from their house! I am contemplating quitting school. My mom HAS to keep working because she has to have decent medical insurance because he is so unhealthy now. Besides, I think he would make her crazy.

I'm not trying to have my dad committed or his rights taken away, if he wants to do absolutely nothing, I/we can talk/plead/beg until we're blue in the face and it won't make a difference. If that's the case then I think he needs to do some serious soul searching and make his wishes known to us.
dragonfly33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote