Old 10-09-2013, 05:42 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn25 View Post
Just came across your post and wondering if you or others have any lessons to share. I've got burning thighs (both). Diagnosed as PN but I almost feel like I have some type of skin infection + a nerve issue. Serious unbearable discomfort on wearing pants but some pants are not bad compared to others (even though all are 100% cotton - but seems like pant to pant the sensitivity is significantly different). I am using Gabapentin at a very low dose. I have tried Bcomplex but not B12 directly. Calamine lotion too. Nothing works though except being in shorts!

* any specific pants of material/brand of pants (mens) that works best? basically it seems like softest would be best based on my experience so far
* do pants that use twill/stain free/wrinkle free have something that could increase discomfort?
* any specific relief therapy - acupuncture?
* any specific skin treatment (topical ointment)?
* any other issues that could play a role (ex: I have been taking high BP and baby aspirin for years)?
* any impact of laundry detergent used on comfort of pants?
* any other ideas to get through a work day/commute?

Thanks for any tips.
Only the thighs? I have another question too. What type of blood pressure pill? Is it an ACE inhibitor? This family of drugs causes all sorts of grief for some people. I had a massive crisis reaction to lisinopril last Feb...due to the build up of bradykinin that these drugs cause. Burning stabbing pain everywhere, and swelling, and GI pain, and breathing difficulty.

Pain only in the thighs may be meralgia paresthetica. This is a sensory pathway nerve from L4-L5 in the back and gets compressed as it passes thru the abdomen. It exits at the top of the thigh near the side. Using Lidoderm patches at the exit,
sometimes puts the nerve to sleep (lateral femoral nerve).
this link has more:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0401/p2109.html
Figure 2B shows the location where the nerve exits the abdomen.
I had this as a consequence of a surgery (C-section). Using the Lidoderm patches when they first came out, resulted in a remission for me, after 14 days or so. I had had it for over a decade before! I only had it on the right side.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote