View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly33 View Post
My apologies, I didn't mean to imply that that I was seeking specific medical advice. I'm just terribly confused.

My father is difficult because he is very closed minded in many aspects. After his heart attack, he lives as if he got new plumbing and he is good to go. Still smokes like a fiend, does not exercise, hasn't changed a single eating habit. I believe (don't quote me) statistically, heart patients that don't change their lifestyles usually die within 5 years of their bypass surgery. In my mind, triple bypass is a gift and a HUGE wake up call. But that's just me.

Is dementia a symptom/complication of PD? The GP is a mile away from their house! I am contemplating quitting school. My mom HAS to keep working because she has to have decent medical insurance because he is so unhealthy now. Besides, I think he would make her crazy.

I'm not trying to have my dad committed or his rights taken away, if he wants to do absolutely nothing, I/we can talk/plead/beg until we're blue in the face and it won't make a difference. If that's the case then I think he needs to do some serious soul searching and make his wishes known to us.
1. dementia is a factor in pd, just google parkinson's and dementia.
2, if he has early dementia then that may explain his behavior and that needs to be determined. *admin edit*
3. if you haven't reached out for local support then imho you need to that asap, you have to deal with an elderly parent and with/without pd **, sounds like even if he saw a dr. he wouldn't follow their advice but if he has ear;y dimentia then he can't help himself. you need advise from experts, **. you need a comprehensive plan for dealing with aging parents.

4. i suggest you get "THE PARKINSON'S DISEASE TREATMENT BOOK" by AHLSKOG
best of luck, *admin edit*

Last edited by Chemar; 10-09-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: NT guidelines
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote