View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 11:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

FWIW, Ritalin is not actually a form of "speed" or amphetamine. It is closely related, but is not actually an amphetamine. Adderall and some of the other ADHD meds are forms of amphetamine. However, both Ritalin and Adderall are controlled substances, so you have to pickup a written prescription from your doctor or pay to have it overnighted to you every month and have to hand carry it to the pharmacy every month. If you don't live close to your doctor, it can be a real drag having to do it every month.

I have taken Ritalin and Focalin for ADHD and find that they do calm and focus me, but they also tended to kind of take away the highs and lows in my emotional state. I just kind of feel like a robot going about my day. Obviously, as stated by others, the stimulants do affect folks like me with ADHD differently than they do others, but it is something to keep an eye on if you start taking it. The only reason I am not on them now is that I can't afford to have to see a psych doc every couple of months and pay out of pocket to "checkup" on my ADHD in order to get them to keep writing the scripts.

One other thing you can do to keep from developing tolerance and needing a higher and higher dose is take med "vacations". I used to take mine only on the weekdays when I really needed the focus for work. On weekends I would not take it and just kind of suffer through...albeit with alot of help from my wife.
TXBatman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erika (10-09-2013), SallyC (10-09-2013)