View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 02:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt View Post
Dragonfly,

If I understand your posts correctly your father was diagnosed by a neurologist with PD nearly four years ago. He was, and still is, prescribed "a vitamin regimen".

At this stage post-diagnosis, a person of his age and symptoms would typically be prescribed several hundred mg per day of levodopa based drugs. Although they do not cure the disease, they dramatically reduce the symptoms for many people for several years.

Try to find out why this approach has not been tried.

Try to get him to exercise, preferably in a social situation. This is likely to reduce the chances of depression developing, which often intensifies the symptoms.

John
Thank you John. We believe he is depressed however, we think there are several contributing factors. A month after his heart attack, my sister passed away suddenly, and maybe 3 months after that he was diagnosed with PD.

He is still on the same vitamin regimen since his initial diagnosis and that was part of my confusion. His symptoms are progressively getting worse, the balance, more tremors, memory, swallowing/eating difficulty, etc., and the doctor hasn't even suggested medication.

We have tried to get him to exercise and he won't even go for a walk with one of us. We bought him a treadmill with rails and he won't touch it.
dragonfly33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote