View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default clothing for hypersensitive skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfighting View Post
For well over a year I have been mostly wearing sport clothing that is water resistent. Zip off pants and button up shirts that are as light as a feather. They can pass as casual dress clothes for work or for any activity. Closest thing to wearing nothing and now when I put on a pair of jeans I change right back. They make this stuff for both men and women but many of my female friends have better luck in the mens section. they are in any sports store. the moisture resistance also adds to the comfort and they dry very quickly.
As an occupational therapist I've worked with many people, particularly on the autism spectrum, who have super sensitive skin. Fifteen percent of the normal population is suspected to have that condition to varying degrees, (and/or hypersensitivity to smell, light, movement, etc) which we call sensory defensiveness. Paradoxically, deep pressure touch can mediate the sensitivity to light touch, but I don't know if that would apply to PN pain. My patients with tactile hypersensitivity often were comfortable with close-fitting stretchy garments such as bike shorts or compression garments under their other clothing. When it's not too hot out, of course. Another strategy is to buy used clothes that are already broken in and softened and without buttons, zippers, etc.
dogwalker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bn25 (10-10-2013), Idiopathic PN (10-10-2013)