Thread: Flu Shot
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What happened here in the US was that quack parents (no disrespect to those parents) decided to not vaccinate there children in fear of Autism or other disorders. Well surprise surprise the measles has popped up, its very low and thankfully these horrific viruses haven't come back YET. But its just stupid to not vaccinate. Thankfully our whole public school system does not allow kids to start school who are not vaccinated, so that has helped. And obvisly the whole autism comes from vaccines was debunked!

As for the flu shot, again I rather get it to protect me and my body verses getting horrifically sick because I know that's what will happen. My pcp did tell me about a new vaccine they just came out with and its a very tiny needle and doesn't hurt at all, but they don't give them out every where so I think you have to go to your local health department. Second, I have a severely immuno compromised little brother and a basic cold can land him into the hospital and at deaths door, let alone the flu! So my whole family gets them every year and so do our nurses that care for him. And he HAS to get his flu shot every year, his drs don't even give an option, because the benefits definitely out way the negatives. If your worried talk to your PCP to get all your information. The only person that cant get it in my house is my little sister because she has an egg allergy. When H1N1 came out and there wasn't a vaccine yet, that was horrible! A lot of people died from it. Typically the annual count for deaths by flu is 130k, probley your very elderly, severely immuno compromised and those that just don't feel like they need the flu shot or fears they have of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambledog View Post
Makes me think of the MMR vaccination in the UK.....loads of parents chose NOT to vaccinate their kids because of the negative press about the MMR vaccine. Lots of unvaccinated children now getting measles, mumps and rubella because of it, and passing it on to their friends - and some of those kids develop it badly and have nasty reactions, pass it to their children etc. Now they are lining up for it again, and there's a big push to get kids safe again. Turned out actually the risks of the vaccination WERE a lot less (as a population) than crossing fingers and hoping.

I'm not saying 'you've got to have the flu shot', but there are always two opposing points of view on these things....and pretty often the scientists are right.

Bram.
tos8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brambledog (10-10-2013), pooh_ac (10-10-2013), RSD ME (10-09-2013)