View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Emmalucy,

You need to see the dentist again. You obviously had infection in the bone and there is no way anyone on the internet can tell you whether you still have infection or not.

Antibiotics generally take 24 to 48 hours to get into the blood stream and take hold of the infection. You then need to stay on them long enough to kill the bacteria. So you may need additional medication.

Your intense pain is not normal if the bone were healthy. If the oral surgeon will not see you, then get in to see a different oral surgeon.

I hope you get relief soon.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalucy View Post
Hello everyone, thanks for the opportunity to join such a supportive community.

I'm hoping for some help as I'm currently in horrendous pain. I'm a 33-year-old woman from North London with perhaps not the best immune system due to a history of anorexia and very recently grieving for loved ones.

I had my lower right wisdom tooth out on Saturday. At the time, my dentist told me it was infected, (I have had some discomfort for the past few months) and that once out, the infection may spread downwards. He prescribed 15 x 500mg Amoxicillin for this. There were no complications during the extraction which I had under a local anaesthetic, and I went home feeling a little sore once the numbness had subsided.

By Sunday evening I was in terrible pain and have been since. Co-codamol and Ibruprofen are not touching the pain. I returned to the dentist on Monday and he cleaned the socket, put medicine in there, and said there's no debri left, and that I need to ride out the infection. He prescribed 9 x Metronidazole to take alongside my Amoxicillin.

It's now Wednesday evening and I'm no better, the pain is leaving me in constant tears. I can't sleep for more that two hours for being woken by pain. I called the dentist again this morning and they said there's nothing they can do and that I should wait until tomorrow because antibiotics take 3-4 days to kick in. I only have 3 pills left?!

I don't smoke, I have good dental hygiene and have been using salt water rinses and Corsodyl mouthwash (as advised by dentist).

Please tell me all he is saying is right and that things will improve tomorrow? I'm at the end of my tether with this pain and feel so depressed
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote