View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 03:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

So here's the details about the Calmare treatment that did NOT work well for my daughter:

The one in New Jersey worked really, really well. We went there, all the way across the country, because that dr. was the one that had the most experience with RSD. That treatment put my daughter in remission for 3 months. She was not very strong, but ALL of the RSD symptoms went away, and she went completely off of Vicodin (she had to go down slowly and under dr's care).

When she started coming out of remission, we decided to try the clinic here in Arizona that had the most experience. If it didn't work, we would go back to NJ. Well, thank God it worked really well, and she entered her second remission. This remission was a lot stronger, and she even went surfing once! (not in Arizona it was when we visited my family in California). This remission lasted 3 months.

When she started coming out, we decided to try the other clinic in Arizona that didn't have as much experience, but was a lot closer (20 minutes away, instead of an hour, which is a big difference because I have trouble driving and she's tired after the treatment). This one started off differently right off the bat - for one thing, they used the type of pad that was used when we got TENS treatments at PT. With the normal pads, you can overlap them and put the signal right where you want it, but with these TENS pads, you couldn't overlap them, so they ended up in a different pattern on her back (I didn't realize this, or I would have said something sooner). I don't know WHY they didn't see this as a problem! I mean, the whole point is to get to certain specific points on the spine that are typically close, and these TENS pads won't let you do that!

Anyway, when they turned on the machine, instead of feeling really good, it hurt her - it felt like giant bee stings on her back, plus it itched badly. She did finally "zero out" during treatment, but the pain came back sooner, and the biggest thing is that instead of being at a zero after 4 treatments, she was still at a 5 - and she came in at a 4! IOW, she ended up getting a little worse. Finally we tried switching to the normal Calmare pads, but it was just too late and it just wasn't working, so we just decided to write it off and go back to the other place.

We went back to the other place the next week, where they followed the standard Calmare protocol, and it worked great. She is now in remission again after 4 treatments, and is getting stronger and stronger and starting to catch up on her schoolwork.

So anyway, I wanted to share that with you all (thanks for asking for my experiences, zookester ) because I'm interested in sharing everything with people, whether it's good or bad, so that they have as much info as possible to make their own decisions.
SloRian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eevo61 (09-12-2014), jdj88 (09-19-2015)