View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 11:15 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzar1958 View Post
Hi again,

I've posted a few times today if you want to check out the latest in my catalogue of woes...

You sound incredibly brave and centred about your symptoms. I'm climbing the walls worrying more about the future than the present (the intermittant pain I have right now is bearable but annoying). If it stayed like this I could cope. It's the fear of progression (and the underlying cause of course) that really grips me.
If I'm off work now (I'm a primary teacher), what will I be like with a diagnosis?
My friends were supportive in the beginning, but as I have a history of health related anxiety, they are convinced a lot of the symptoms are stress related.
It would be great if they were!!

Karen
PS Whereabouts in Lancashire BTW?
Hi Karen,

I am in Chorley, 45 minutes from Manchester and I understand what you mean about the prognosis.

I went to A & E on Monday as I felt symptoms had spread more up legs etc. and my neuro told me if I did that they would refer me to where he is but they didn't. They admitted me there on Monday, which is why I have not been on these boards and did MRI which shows a mass at T3 on spine about the size of a pea but that is quite big for the area in the spinal column where it is. They said they would send me today to the spinal unit in Liverpool and I was waiting for an ambulance when they said they could not admit me there as no beds but I have an outpatient appointment there tomorrow with a neurosurgeon.

They have put me on steroids which apparently may shrink it or slow it down and in a weird way I am pleased because this mass is in the bra strap area of the spine which is where my numbness starts and works its way down to feet so it makes sense that this is the problem. They say (depending on which dr. you talk to) that is is impossible to tell from MRI if it is malignant/that it is benign/it is almost certainly benign, so 3 doctors 3 different answers and they are all just general doctors so really need to see what neurosurgeon says tomorrow. They also said (can't remember which dr. now) that if operated it will reverse symptoms that I have because it is not compressing spinal cord but just displacing it. If it was compressing I was told that it would just stop progression and not improve what I have now so if that is the case `i will be happy.

I have a feeling they may just tell me to keep taking the tablets to try and stop it getting bigger until they have space for me but will know more tomorrow.

If you can get a diagnoses with the problem at least you can try and put it right whereas if I had been told MRI was OK I would have been back to square one so I am pleased (I know that sounds odd).

Late last night I had a lightbulb moment as I remembered that I have always had an itch at the bra strap area, maybe 5 or 6 years and GP said it is dry skin and not to worry but just hoping the two are not connected so I will mention that to him tomorrow.

Sorry this is all so longwinded by the way LOL

Hopefully you will get some answers soon.
superstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote