View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 12:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My pain seems somewhat similar to yours....first I'll tell you a bit of what happened to me:

How it started is hard for me to talk about. I had an onlay fall off a tooth. I had NO PAIN whatsoever. However, I was going out of town for awhile and wanted it taken care of.

I went to a dentist that was on my insurance. She was not recommended to me, etc.

She insisted that instead of replacing the onlay, she put on a crown. However, she had a freakishly hard time putting on the crown. Many problems, errors and re-dos took place. At one point, she put on a crown with permanent glue and told me to bite hard and the thing broke immediately.
It took her about two hours to get it off after that and the tooth got sore.

There was more weirdness...many, many weeks went by, it got more and more sore. The owner of the practice took over...more work was done and then suddenly one day in the dentist's chair, I had the WORST pain in my life in and around that tooth (tooth #31). It was deep and electrical. It was in my jaw and in my ear (right side). I was shot up with a ton of novocaine..as I was crying and starting to scream.

It only got worse from there pain wise and treatment wise. I got a root canal and the tooth was pulled as various dental "professionals" tried to figure out what went wrong.

However, I still had the pain....24/7 boring, sharp pain, where tooth #31 was, in my jaw and in and around my right ear.

I was put on Percocet. The pain was always bad, but some days it was EXCRUCIATING. I began to notice that a cold wind hitting my face would set me off and I would start crying. Only being perfectly still, with capaisin cream and a heating pad on my face would bring some relief. Some days, you would see me with burns on my ear.

The last oral surgeon who saw me told me the truth. I was so lucky. He sheepishly admitted that I needed to see a neurologist and in so many words told me that I had been hurt by one of my dentists.

Flash forward:

I went to a neurologist and tried many medications. I went to various websites to see what others were taking. I tried MANY meds and my stomach is now a war zone.

My pain was not like folks who have TN I or typical trigeminal neuralgia. They have extraordinary horrible pain that sort of comes and goes. And there is an electrical quality to it.

Mine only had that electrical quality to it at the dentist office.

My pain is like a deep boring stabbing relentless pain. I was dx'd as having Aytpical Trigeminal Neuralgia.

After trying various meds, my doctor settled on Desipramine tablets and a compounded cream that I put on my face 5x a day. In the cream is Gabapentin, Lidocaine and Capsaicin. I take 1/2 of a Percocet for breakthrough pain. I also did acupuncture for several months at the beginning, which was somewhat helpful.

It took ABOUT A YEAR to get on the right meds. THREE WEEKS after starting the cream. I noticed improvement.

Today, I am better! I have hope! If I forget a dosage of the cream...I feel pain. If a cold wind hits my face...I feel a lot of pain.

But, day to day, I am more normal and am very grateful.

Check out the websites listed at the beginning of these posts and also there is a good book on the topic called "Striking Back."

BTW, I am not too fond of the dental profession after this HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. Chose your dentist CAREFULLY! Be extra careful about procedures and injections. Make sure your dentist understands your concerns.
And if you haven't already, find yourself a good, caring and smart NEUROLOGIST!

Wishing you good luck!
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Glyde 11209 (11-12-2013)