View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Is Self Pity a Prison

I have this urge for life to be different and better than it is, and every time I try to imagine getting those things I feel helpless to get them. I think sometimes my condition will be the obstacle, other times my condition is the excuse. So I let myself feel bad and mopey because sometimes someone close to me will fix it for me or console me. But every time I get help or support from someone, I feel like I'm taking away from my own drive or ability to try, or to just accept that I can't have it.

I forget where I heard it, but somebody said "Self pity is a prison that you drag others into". Everybody needs help sometimes, we are social creatures after all, but I feel like I'm making a habit of using expressions of self pity to get what I want (not necessarily what I need) or to just shut people out.

I feel like I'm not taking part in life, and just shutting off everything because I don't want to be like that. Is anyone else familiar with this feeling or habit? How did you overcome it, or how have you tried if you haven't?

I'm not a religious person, probably bare minimum spiritual, so I'm hoping for more psychological/emotional/social type solutions. Thanks for reading, thanks for a reply.
BradS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote