View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 01:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I saw the segment when aired. I have not applied for SSDI as I'm hoping the medications can get my Lupus/Sjogren's under control so I can be back to work by January. If not, I am going to be forced to apply. Perspective of my situation may have tainted my view of the show.

I wasn't mad or offended. I was a bit disheartened by this show.
A) I did felt this airing would have an effect on approvals issued regardless if people warranted it.
B) I think it's a shame people, and Lawyers feel okay to scam they system set up for folks with a disability. The fact that a lawyer has a 100% approval rate and brings in a doctor to sign the pre-filled out paperwork in the lawyers office in mass screams dirty and low down. The fact that this lawyer has become rich by "ambulance chasing/insurance fraud accidents" sort of fraud on SSDI and taking the available budget out of the hands of people that need it is just dirty.

As for the comments about the Lawyers fees, I didn't have a problem with the way any of that was worded. It didn't even cross my mind until I read it on this thread. I watched my brother-in-law go through his disability claim when he was run over by construction equipment at work. So I knew that the lawyers took their fee out of the amount awarded. I think the show may not have made the clarification because they were highlighting the corruption of lawyers making this a greedy "big business" enterprise. The more lawyers get involved, the more of the awarded and owed disability money doesn't get to the hands that deserve it - the disabled person. They mentioned a statistic about how previously X amount of people showed up with a lawyer, and now X showed up with a lawyer, and it was a vast increase. Again, speaking to the lawyers finding a way to get their hands in a pie that really shouldn't go to them. I haven't even applied, but I feel like I would need a lawyer, that's just the impression I've gotten from the stories I've heard/read, meaning the lawyers are doing their job - making money.

Overall I thought they did a fair job showing some of the abuses/corruption of the system.
The one part I was unsatisfied with was someone (I forget who, and even the exact statement) who said people were abusing the system with disabilities such as RA, because there was no universal testing for diagnosis. I took that a bit sensitive as my diseases are invisible, and that kind of abuse will only make it harder for people who suffer from RA, or invisible illnesses. I fear additional discrimination towards RA and illnesses similar inthe SSDI if the abuses are widespread. I don't know because I don't have any experience myself, but it was just disheartening the obsticals real sufferers would have to go through because of the greed of the scammers.
abbyrition is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote