Thread: Shunt Pains?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 02:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKayode View Post
So I've had this shunt since birth, 18 years. It's only been revised once when the tube for one broke. The pains been going on for pretty much all of those 18 years, and it really only hurts when I touch the part of my head where the shunt is located.

Why is that? Could someone explain?

Also, is there a way to get like the pain to stop?

And my last question: What's the chance of getting a shunt removed and actually performing well in life?
Hi there Kay,
I am not a Dr, so I'll state that bit first.
But the brain itself has no pain receptors, it processes pain but does not feel the sensation of pain. So when you say it hurts are you meaning the surface of your scalp or deeper? I have recently had a shunt revision, where they have cut the scalp and stapled it back together it is very sensitive around the wound and around the valve. I am still to find a fool proof way to stop the pain short of medication, which knocks me so bad I need a bed.
Now for your last question. This year I have required 3 surgeries and things still ain't good. The dr's are talking about more which I'm not happy about . But, when they started they were unsure what the story was with what was going on within my head. They thought I may be 'Shunt independent' meaning that the shunt could be removed. They drilled a hole in my forehead and placed a pressure gauge in the hole. I was told it would be there for 3 days. The first night things went bad and I was rushed to theatre the next morning. I was told the pressures should be between 6-12, mine where 80-90, seems I was not a candidate for being 'Shunt independent'. They removed the gauge and replaced the shunt.
The pain I now have is severe headaches and intense eye pain, which the dr's tell me they cant do much about Just keep taking painkillers.
Now these have been my experiences in regard to your questions. And I hope they assist you. Unfortuneately the story goes on and I have no control over where it goes from here and to put it mildly I'm dreading it.

Merl1n
Merl1n is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote