View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

(In the us) You can apply to the school for an individualized education plan, and if your daughter is determined to have a disability* then she is entitled to a free appropriate education, which may include tutoring in your home if she is unable to attend school. My daughter was tutored at home for almost a whole year, although the tutoring was only two hours a day.

They need to provide an appropriate education until she is 21 years old or until she graduates from high school, whichever is first. If you haven't already, you should apply as soon as you can, because 1) it takes some time to get an iep in place and 2) if she is old enough and hasn't attended school the might consider her a drop out and say no.

I am not an education expert, but this is just based on my experience with my daughter and things I've heard from others. Luckily my school district has been great, but we have friends who needed to hire an education lawyer to get appropriate accommodations for their son.

*i know may seem obvious that she is needs accommodation, but the education rules are bizarre in my opinion, and even the most obvious disability might not qualify if it is not on their list, so I don't know that chronic pain is on of the disabilities that entitles children to accommodation.
Ccm47 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Djhasty (10-16-2013), lakens mom (10-12-2013)