View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 05:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm sorry that I can't answer the question about Lyrica, but I have tons of experiences with TECs. I've had six of them, a few which were long-term ones (in for 2 to 3 months each).

First, as to whether the pump will effect your cognative performance, that depends on what medications are used. If it's just bupivicaine, then you should be able to function just fine. I was fine with both bupivicaine and Clonidine. Some doctors add other meds, and I can't tell you how it might effect you if your infusion contains something like Fentanyl or anything else.

I don't remember the procedure itself as being too bad. There's a small incision on your back, like an inch and a half long, where the catheter is placed. Then it's tunneled under your skin and around your side (at least mine were, but I think they can put it where you want it because I used to specify). Where the catheter comes out, you'll have one stitch holding it in.

I was always kept overnight, hooked up to a big pump. I was generally a bit sore for the first few days. The next morning, I would get the small pump and get all hooked up to that. There's a lot of equipment, and I recall a lot of medical tape being involved in the process. I wore the small pump around my waist in a fanny pack---not fashionable, but a lot better than that ridiculous pole they use in the hospital.

I was kept on antibiotics the entire time my TECs were in because of the risk of developing meningitis. I was usually given a few doses of IV Vancomycin in the hospital, and sent home with oral antibiotics. You'll have instructions as to what to look for in case of infection. Just, if you start to feel sick DO NOT HESITATE to get checked out, because bacterial meningitis is obviously a really bad thing.

I had a home healthcare nurse who came over two or three times a week to change the bag of infusion medications and to change my dressings. The tape sucks. I had rashes and skin problems from all the tape used, so make sure to look out for that!

Another thing to be careful of is numbness in the morning, especially if you sleep on your stomach (and if your RSD is in your leg). The medication tends to pool while you sleep, and I had a few problems of not being able to feel my leg when I woke up in the morning. I remember falling at least once. That clears up within an hour or two of being upright.

So, since I had so many of them it's probably needless to say that I had some good results from TECs. I had RSD in my left leg and right arm, and my second TEC (2-month-long cervical) put the RSD in my arm into remission. I haven't had problems with it since. The TECS helped improve both the function and pain in my left leg, but it's not perfect and that's something I've come to accept. My leg was untreated for much longer than my arm, and when I really think about it, it's pretty cool that I can walk on it at all.

Oh, and this was all several years ago (while I was in HS, now I've graduated from college), so it's possible that there are newer and smaller pumps or something.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions about TECs, feel free to ask!

-Betsy

Last edited by betsyherm; 05-19-2007 at 05:22 PM. Reason: added thing about it being a long time ago
betsyherm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote