View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 02:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Exclamation Need Advice Fast, Nothing Working and Life on Hold

Brand new to the forum and really hoping someone may be able to relate, or help with my new health condition.

Summary of events

May 2013 - Involved in motorcycle accident. Hit a median at 80km/h. Don't remember anything and was knocked out. Lost vision 80% for around 10 minutes on the way to hospital via ambulance. CT scan, Xrays revealed no brain damage, broken bones just some good road rash on the back and concussion.

Came home early morning and experienced a body convulsion (uncontrollable shakes), yet still fully conscious. Slept it off and felt somewhat OK next day.

June 2013 - concussion symptoms subside and I resume regular routine (work, gym, tennis, running, etc) with no side effects. I feel completely fine at this point.

Aug 2, 2013 - Had 4-5 drinks with friends over a 6 hour period. Wake up around 5AM to urinate. Turn around and last thing I remember is blacking out and losing control of balance. Wake up on floor in blood and sore head. Vomit profusely for 10 minutes. Look in mirror and see signs of a broken nose, rug burn on top right of forehead and banged up face, suggesting I feel over from a standing position and likely slammed my head in to the door frame and then rug floor.

Aug 4, 2013 - Paramedics called. Body started convulsing, feeling of going to pass out and very unwell, panicked feeling, yet still fully conscious. Back in hospital with complaints of feeling dizzy, nauseous, vision problems, ringing in ears and lack of balance. They complete another CT. No signs of brain damage. Suspected a second severe concussion prior to the first fully healing and that I likely have PCS that will last 3-6 months however referred to urgent neurology.

Sept, 2013 - See a neurologist. Orders a brain wave test, MRI (yet to be completed), blood work and 24 hr holter monitor test. I've completed all aside from MRI and blood work and have an appt next week to review with GP, although brain wave tech told me that things looked normal, no signs of epilepsy. Passed all routine brain tests at neuro (finger to pen, etc).

Late Sept, 2013 - Tested for BPPV at local office (dislodged crystals in ear canal that may contribute to vertigo). Tested negative.

Since then I've been seeing a physiotherapist 2 times per week for 2 months (covered by auto insurance, thank god) for sore and painful neck and concussion symptoms. Have made temporary improvement with dizziness and neck pain, but comes back after a couple of days of no physio. Currently seeing minimal improvement and symptoms still on strong and quickly.

Primary Lingering Symptoms

-Ringing in ears all day every day
-Dizziness in public settings (ambient noise, artificial lighting and mental focus set it off)
-Random head pain (not intense)
-Sporadic blurred vision
-Confused feeling when over exerted. I sometimes slip in to an extremely clouded state of mind, get confused and sometimes get disoriented. Lose train of thought.
-Neck pain and stiffness - I believe I have whiplash from the fall. Xray was negative on bone damage (wondering if an OTC anti inflammatory would help? May also help with dizziness? Suggestions appreciated).

Current Treatment

-Physio 2 -3 days per week
-Complex B12 vitamin dails
-2 to 4 tsp flax seed oil daily providing 5-10g omega 3 (is fish oil a better choice?)
-Reduced workload and taking it easy most days.
-A ton of water.

What's odd is that most days I'm able to feel OK at home in peace and quiet, but if I try to go in to my office, or go on a client meeting I get dizzy and feel like passing out. I've been unable to work at even 50% for 2.5 months now and fearing for my job security. Currently on short term disability and exploring long term disability if symptoms persist.

ANY help or input from people, or professionals with experience with similar symptoms would be EXTREMELY appreciated as I'm starting to become very scared, anxious and losing hope that things will resolve any time soon. I live alone, single father and have had to stop taking my child over night as its too much and brings symptoms on. I just want regular life back before losing everything!

Thank you if you made it through reading all of this.
randomguy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote