View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 02:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ohh wow, I'm not the only one. PHEW.
In January this year after 17yrs of a fixed pressure shunt I was fitted (makes me sound like a car) with an adjustable valve. The first one died within 8 months and I had another fitted in August. I had learnt how to manage the ongoing headaches over the previous 17yrs and sure it wasn't easy but I could cope and function. But since the August procedure the pain has been Bad, very bad and oh my god. I have a constant cloud of pain with periods of intense pulsating bolts of pain. The previous headache, off and on, affected my right eye but now the constant pain is in the right eye passing thru the bridge of my nose and affecting my left eye. I relate the pulsing to somebody shooting a steel bolt from the back of my skull out through the bridge of my nose and exploding.
The dr's have been less than helpful as they have 'fixed the problem'. I have queried the pressures. The response I received was "there should be little to no problem. Lets do a scan and see. Come back in a month" so I wait. I have only met 1 other adult with a shunt, whilst in hospital recently. She had developed an infection and was basically bedbound. The dr's had removed a portion of her skull to allow room for the swelling due to the infection. As they say "...but for the grace of god, go I". She was in a much worse position than me. And there is no way I could make any comparison.
But in reading some of the comments within this post, I can see many images of myself, which is comforting to know.

Thanks
Merl1n
Merl1n is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
premar16 (01-08-2015)