View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 06:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Bi-Lateral surgery experience and results?

Hi all,

I had a first rib resection and anterior scalenectomy in Aug. 2012 on my right side. Overall, symptoms are now MUCH better- not perfect and still have occasional flare-ups but hand strength has returned and I'm able to do much more. I can go on the recumbent bike at the gym or the elliptical (no hands- hands on hips instead) for up to 40 minutes several times a week now! My neck still gets tight and I have to be careful not to overdo it, but it's manageable. I was considering the pec minor release but opted not to do it as I was still making progress. I feel I may still need it but am hoping to avoid it.

However, I've been having TOS symptoms on my other side- vascular and neurogenic. No nerve pain like before, but whole arm and hand go numb and I've been losing strength in my left hand. After months of PT (symptoms actually started on and off last year), I decided to do the TOS surgery on my left side this coming December, given how much alleviating compression helped on my right side and that it is clearly anatomical versus mechanical. My PT and dr agree.

Does anyone have experience with having bilateral surgeries, both post-op and long term? I'm worried that my original side will go back to being bad (and that it will become chronic) and that I will end up worse than before. On the flip side, nothing has touched the numbness so I'm not sure I have a choice...
starlight17 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote