View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 10:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminSweet View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was finally diagnosed with a C5/6 disc herniation..hooray haha!! Been in major pain for months. MRI says irritation of C6 nerve is likely..it so is I'm in crazy pain. It does contact the spinal cord without compression or displacement.

So, I saw the neurosurgeon and he is sending me for conduction studies and nerve block(s) with neurologist. I don't have appointment yet. What does the nerve block do and how long does it last?

Personally I just want surgery (I've had 5 in other areas in past 5 yrs). I'm not eager to have surgery but I can't even clean my tub or do anything anymore I'm becoming a total invalid. I used to be in amazing shape. I can only walk since March. I am off work. I'm on morphine daily. It doesn't cut it.

If anyone has info on the nerve block thing I would be so appreciative.

Ms VitaminSweet.
To some degree, you are right! If you have an MRI that shows clear unilateral compression of the C6 nerve root and your clinical findings are supportive of the same, then it is academic to order the neuro consult, electrodiagnostics and blocks (presumably diagnostic selective nerve root blocks so it doesn't have to last more than a few hours, it simply must temporarily diminish your pain). Either something doesn't quite add up between imaging findings and clinical exam or he is just abundantly cautious! You should have a heart to heart chat with him....
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote