View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 02:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar View Post
I had neuropathy and recently found out it is due to a tumour intradural extramedullary at T3 about the size of a grape which is large for the area and looks from mri like it is blocking 3/4 of the spinal cord.

Before I knew this I was taking all the supplements that Mrs. D. recommended (thanks) but with no relief, probably because now I know what I have I realise it may not have helped. I am having surgery Wednesday and am told that there is no way of knowing how much if any improvement I will get after. He is not yet sure if it is touching spinal cord itself. My walking is very off balance and I have numbness from toes to bra line. I can put up with the numbness if I have to but would dearly love to be able to get my mobility back to normal.

My question is would all these same supplements help/improve the nerves after spinal cord compression? Does anyone have any idea what is the timeline for recovery from something like this, obviously I will be asking surgeon but it is something I forgot to ask at the time. For example is the 3 month/6 month time as good as it is ever going to get or is there still improvement after a longer period?

Thanks for any help with this.

I don't know you but I will be praying for you on Wednesday. You have to put your trust in your neuro-surgeon and believe that your surgery will be a success. I too had spinal surgery 2 years ago. I had lost feeling in my left leg from knee down, it went ice cold. Then total motor control of foot. I was told that I was dragging my foot before surgery.

I have made an 85-90 percent recovery. I walk normally and wear normal foot wear. It took almost 16 months to fully recover though. My suspicion is that when the tumour is removed and swelling goes down you will have both return of feeling and motor function. It may take a bit of time to regain full function though as the body heals slower the older we are. But the body has an amazing way of healing itself given the right circumstances. I really wish you the best of luck.

Aussie
Aussie99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote