View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 11:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Debi,

Oh, there is so much I would like to say in response to your post. I understand your frustration. Not only do records lack a lot of information, they also sometimes contain erroneous information and opinionated information. I have even typed things out and faxed them to my doc before my appointment so that there is written evidence, I don't forget to mention some items, and it is complete, at least on my end.

In obtaining copies of my records for disability claim purposes, I was shocked at what I discovered.

For purposes of medical records, there are different schools of thought and variations on what should and should not be noted.

If it is not written, it did not happen. Don't write any more than is absolutely necessary.

The above is what I was told by a nurse once about what is charted.

I have found notations in my records stating I was on medication that I have never taken or even heard of and have been referred to physicians I have never seen or met. I have also received records within my own that were for other people.

Two of my doctors have changed over to electronic records instead of paper charts as is now being required. A big advantage is you can read it since it is typed and most docs have handwriting that no one can decipher. The problem is when they move from screen to screen, they have a much greater chance of entering information in the wrong location and you wind up with erroneous records. This has happened to me. When I was at an office visit in September, my doc referred back to my prior visit from August. He was still in the August screen and did not realize it and posted the September details under the August visit. You would think no big deal but it looked like I had treatments before I had treatments and results from treatments were indicated before the treatements were performed.

I could go on and on and there have been many discussions in other threads about medical records.

Sorry I got so winded. I just wanted to say I do understand your frustration.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
St George 2013 (10-15-2013)