View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Sltruck,

The panoramic xray that the OS took may have shown more of the anatomy than the periapical xrays that you posted here. However, it is clear on these x-rays that you have infection in the bone from both #30 and 31. I would bet that the endodontist is going to suggest in a nonchalant manner that you re treat them both.

I am very skeptical of the diagnosis that you were given by the OS. Based on my professional experience I think he recommended re treating with rct because either you seemed reluctant or hesitant of removing them and/or it was his way of avoiding a conversation with you about replacing them. I don't feel he had any valid excuse in doing that.

As I have said in an earlier post, if your goal is to cure the infection then you need to remove the source of the infection which is those teeth. Re treating one or both teeth is unfortunately not the cure .... it is simply putting a temporary band-ade on a potentially serious problem. The OS should have discussed all of that with you. I'm very sorry if he didn't

Only you can decide what you feel is in your best interest.
I wish you all the best!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltruck View Post
I thought it might be good to give an update. It's been a couple of weeks since I went to the oral surgeon and then I went out of town so I'm just getting time to write.

I think the oral surgeon was great. When I first checked in at his front desk I showed my x-rays to the receptionist. I could tell she was alarmed by the x-ray and immediately went to the doctor to show him. He saw me right away--no waiting. He had a cool 3-D x-ray machine ($185!) that went all around my head for the scan. FORTUNATELY, that machine showed not nearly as much infection. He said the other dentist's x-ray was not representative.

He told me what he would do if it was his mouth...he suggested getting tooth #30 redone in a new root canal. I questioned him quite a bit about this and he said extracting it would create more problems down the line. He gave me the name of a endondontist he recommended. He also said he only gets paid for extractions but in this case, he wouldn't extract that tooth at this point in time. He said he would leave the molar next to it alone but he would remove both wisdom teeth on that side of my mouth. He said most importantly to get the re-root done. Honestly, I was a bit worried but in the entire Los Angeles area, he's one of the top oral surgeons. He spent a lot of time explaining things and seemed very sincere.

Thank goodness those antibiotics last month helped so I have not had hardly pain although I'm making an appointment for a re-root later this week.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote