View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yikes I didn't realize that I haven't posted in so long!

I did formally withdraw from graduate school. It was too much and was causing so much stress. I noticed an immediate improvement in my symptoms once I didn't have to think about homework, studying, due dates, etc... Definitely the right decision! I can resume classes in the summer with no fall-out. Thank God for that.

Otherwise I have been so-so. I haven't had any real improvement in symptoms, but my ability to do sustained mental effort is improving bit by bit. Where I might have been wiped out after 90 minutes of real effort, now I can do 2-3 hours. I still have a lot of issues but I consider it progress. My sleep is so-so... I can't quite sleep through the whole night, but I have been falling asleep right away. I am trying to avoid marathon sleep sessions on the weekends, and have noticed an improvement with that by placing my pink-noise generator app on a timer instead of simply being on. When it turns off, I generally wake up. So, that has been a good way to limit over-sleeping.

I took a long walk about two weeks ago at a brisk pace. I walked for about half an hour. I returned home, feeling good, but I was dizzy. I remained dizzy for over 14 hours; got little sleep that night and of course that wrecked my next day. I wasn't very steady on my feet and felt like I had to look at the ground the whole time I was walking. I didn't realize that I was so unsteady. My eyes were darting around and I couldn't help but constantly check the ground to look for obstacles. Not sure what is up with that...

Hmm... what else... Reading is still a challenge. I told my family that reading is a bore because the words are just on the page. Before my accident, reading was a lot of fun. I could "enter the story" and become the character, envisioning myself as the words flowed through my subconsciousness. Now I just read words on a page and can't quite imagine the scene. So, I don't read much... But, I do enjoy movies again. That, and documentaries, or anything with very high emphasis on the visuals. Audio is just lost on me so I hardly follow dialog. That has been a strange thing to realize, but I am adjusting.

Not sure what else to say really. I am just moving along. Seems like my recovery has slowed down a lot since my last update. Kind of on cruise control right now. Thank you all for your continued support! you rock!
OwlinFL84 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anneo59 (10-31-2013)