View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 03:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverre054 View Post
Yeah that's pretty similar to my situation. My hand always make a fist and curls in. I can open my hand most of the time, but I can't fully function my thumb. It's in my right hand, which I'm right handed so I really force myself to try and be active and use my hand. The pain sucks and is terrible, but I do have a pretty high pain tolerance. It does get horrifically bad, and gets worse throughout the day.

The loss of function is the really bad thing. Sometimes my hand works ok, some times I can't even move my arm or hand. I consistently drop and break things, and even things like driving or typing can really set off my pain.

II have been trying to look into new surgeries or treatments, but doctors are hesitant due to my age, and the fact that they risk vs reward ratio isn't great. It's a shame this condition is still a relative mystery to doctors.
Yes my fingers now have a natural "curl" inward. With much effort I can get them straight, but they don't stay that way and it causes pain. There are times now when I guess things are just right where the hand and fingers will cramp much like the issue I had originally.

My last surgery will be 2 years ago in January. I can say I have better function now than then, mostly attributed to learning how to do things in different ways to get by. I live alone (aside from my animals). So I have modified different things along the way to try and get by.

I also have severe tendinitis in my other arm and hand from overuse and compensating for the other arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverre054 View Post
Another question I have; Does CRPS trigger anxiety? It seems like like the pain and the fear of being in pain while out, make me sometimes loathe going out or completing a task. I don;t have panic attacks or anything, but is this something that I should ask the doctor about treating.
An increase in stress, anxiety and depression are pretty common in RSD. I take Cymbalta for the pain and it benefits in helping the depression. My doctor added Valium for relaxing muscles and it is helping my anxiety.