View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 11:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclelops View Post
Steroids do increase blood sugar. That is all I know about it. I can't say that my symptoms ever correlated, as I am not diabetic, I do test my own BS now and then tho. I never had an elevated fasting glucose until I was on IV steroids for 16 weeks, then it was high....after that, it eventually went back to normal.

I do know that some PN has been correlated to abnormal glucose tolerance tests. I have heard that it is good to get a glucose tolerance test if you are diagnosed with PN. I have asked about it, but my docs don't seem to enthusiastic about doing it.

Post prandial blood sugars of 155 are not that unusual or abnormal. The 79, while you were eating, indicates a normal range, and that the food you had eaten had not yet hit your digestive system.
Cyclelops, like the name too , but i just wanted to say that when a doc in his surgery tested me for diabetes, nothing showed up, she said " you certainly have got no problems with any diabetes " but in the first and only batch of tests that my neuro done he ordered a Glucose Tolerance test, the results come back as i was prediabetic.
To many docs world wide are still under the impression that you have to have full blown diabetes to get PN, which is not true.

eg -I had a hip replacement not that long ago and you know how an anesthetist will go over all your medical records before an op, well when i told this guy who had a student with him, that i had PN caused through prediabetes, he said " no way you have to full blown diabetes for a long time before you get PN out of it " so i said would you like to phone my neuro and tell him that ? he is Associate professor of neurology Dr.........., at our largest teaching hospitals in our state, i think he is the head of the neuro department & specializes in PN as well, he jaw just dropped and said " i really don't want argue with you. , i said " neither do i, your the doc mate but your very wrong about this " i think i might have brought him down a peg or two in front of his student.
This does worry me though with the medical profession, i wonder how many PNer's are out there that are classed as Idiopathic, and are suffering needlessly when they could be treated and eventually curred in time.
all the best
Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote