View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default Possible infection after root canal?

Hey all,

I received two root canals a little over a month ago. During one procedure, there was no pain at all, but the other procedure involved a great deal of pain (I was given two shots of Novocain or what-have-you for each). The second root canal, the one that hurt during, gave me pain for about a week and a half following, but it subsided gradually.

More than a month and a half removed from any pain, I woke up the other day to throbbing in my lower right jaw. The tooth that I had the root canal on not only throbs, but is painfully sensitive to touch. I also have some swelling in my jaw right under the gums. This is some of the most intense pain I've ever felt; I've woken up the past two nights feeling as if someone took a sledgehammer to the right side of my face.

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but I have not gotten a crown on either root canal-ed tooth yet; I was told I could wait until Thanksgiving time, as that was when I would be home from college. Is it possible that the temporary crown-like filling has diminished a bit and that's what is causing the pain? Or could it be an infection? Either way, how do I go about treating this? The worst part is that I don't have time to drive the 4 hours home to see my dentist for another month or so. Is there any way I can subside the pain until any procedures can be done?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I am usually very good with pain, but this is unbearable. The pain gives me these headaches which force me to pace around with two hands on my head like a maniac. This is all just so awful.

Thank you in advance guys,

Tim R.
TimR15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote