View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 03:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi there

Welcome to the forum here, although obviously I'm sorry that you have to be here... Yes we do understand what it's like, we all know that frustration and anger, and of course the pain and mobility problems. It all sucks.

Have a good look around the threads here as there's a lot of advice and tips that might help. If it's any help, my first year or so was the worst part, after that the pain did become more manageable and I can now do a lot more than I could a year ago! I've had CRPS just over two years (started in my left knee after an op, now in my whole left side), and this time last year I was in a wheelchair outside the house, and on crutches in it. Rough time. Now I am off most of the meds, walking crutchless, and my wheelchair is covered in fantastic cobwebs in the garage! I'm on Lyrica myself at a low dose of 50mg twice a day now (I was on a higher dose for a while but the lower amount suits me better), and I've had lidocaine patches (didn't help me much tbh) - I hope you have success with both, I know lots of folk swear by them! I'm glad you have a proactive pain doc prepared to treat your CRPS aggressively.

I'm so sorry yours is based in your right arm. Having it in my left is bad enough. It's true that we do have to follow the 'use it or lose it' mantra, but we all know how hard it is some days. In time it does help though, both with the pain and the mobility - unfortunately not using it will worsen both the pain and how much you can do. Have you got a good physio to help with exercises and advice?

It is hard work having this condition, there's no other way. You are young and have a life still ahead, with fun and laughter and achievement still possible, even if it doesn't feel like that right now - don't ever give up on that. Find things that help you, and learn the things that make your pain worse. Managing your days is a tough lesson, but pacing yourself can be the most effective pain relief. Also look at relaxation techniques to help your body de-stress regularly (your body tenses with the pain, and it's really bad for you long term) - I have a morning hour-long routine of stretches, Qi Gong exercises, massage and meditation. It sounds posh, but trust me, in my sitting room it's not! It all helps me deal with the day and feel a bit calmer. Find something that does the same for you. Having a little routine gives your day some structure too.

There's loads of other stuff to try - I've had some fab advice from others on here as well, and you never stop learning about this disease. Vitamin C 500mg twice a day (prevents spread), and unperfumed Epsom salts (in a warm bath, or wrapped in a damp cloth, helps with the pain and redness) are two to try if you haven't already.

Just don't let this stop you enjoying stuff, and shrinking your world down to tiny proportions. Having a structure, and a reason (and determination) to get up and face each day is vital, otherwise everything is just bleak. Friendships change, and you have to work hard to keep things going. I so understand you not being able to go to school, but there are courses you can do from home, and it's good to keep your mind active - distraction works great to take your mind off the pain...

We're a nice bunch here, and we completely get the overwhelming emotions and fears you have. Feel free to vent and rant if you need to

Keep posting and let us know how you get on. I hope you have a better day today

Bram

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!

Last edited by Brambledog; 10-18-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
birchlake (10-18-2013), RSD ME (10-18-2013)