View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Medassist,

Regarding the implant to replace #19.... the jaw bone heals layer by layer and very slowly which means that the new bone forming does not really solidify for several months. In my opinion it is best to wait at least 3 months before placing an implant as this gives the bone some time to grown in a bit before it is disturbed again. When the implant is placed into minimal bone that is still soft with not much height to it, you then risk having too little bone surrounding the circumference of the implant. Sometimes the bone will fill in around the implant up to a higher level, other times it will not. I think it is best to have a periapical xray done at 3 months post op.... then if necessary again at 4 - 6 months to see the density and height of new bone.

I am an advocate of dental implants when they are done properly in patients who are good candidates for them. I do not believe that everyone is automatically a good candidate and that thorough medical/dental screening needs to be done prior to considering them. Although they are a foreign matter in the bone, they do not require blood for nutrition as teeth do. So in my opinion they are a healthier alternative to root canal therapy.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by medassist View Post
Byranna,
Yep he will follow the protocol, and I will have those xray before they go in there and remove the amalgam on 17. Im just wondering now about how to proceed with the implant on 19. TE was done on August 14, so should I try and get this implant going or wait even more? Some say that it is better if you can get it in before the 3 month window so its not totally resorbed, and looks better cosmetically, but then again I don't want infection.

What are your thoughts about implants? I'm planning on more than one down the road even though its so pricey.
Thanks!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote