Thread: ACDF Surgery
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choco2013 View Post
After reading all posts i am a bit frightened that the surgery might bring my condition worse than before. The most scary thing that i might have to re-do the fusion on the up and down level of the previous surgery.
Hi Choco, welcome.

Reading posts about the bad outcomes may give an unbalanced impression because successful outcomes don't usually need or participate in support groups like this one; they are out getting on with their lives.

That said, some studies, and reviews of multiple studies, have concluded:
Quote:
CONCLUSION:

Compared with a structured physiotherapy program alone, ACDF followed by physiotherapy did not result in additional improvements in neck active range of motion, neck muscle endurance, or hand-related function in patients with radiculopathy. We suggest that a structured physiotherapy program should precede a decision for ACDF intervention in patients with radiculopathy, to reduce the need for surgery.

Physical function outcome in cervical radiculopathy patients after physiotherapy alone compared with anterior surgery followed by physiotherapy: a prospective randomized study with a 2-year follow-up.
(emphasis mine)

My own surgeon told me that the hospital (a major medical center) he is affiliated with does fewer of these procedures nowadays because as many patients are the same or worse afterward than are better. They prefer/recommend physical therapy and pain management instead. However, every case is different, and decisions/recommendations are made on a case-by-case basis.

Have you been through physical therapy, and if so, what were the results?

Have you gotten multiple opinions on whether surgery is necessary?

I just came across this article that may provide some additional information to discuss with your doctor before agreeing to surgery.

Is Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion (ACDF) Safe and Effective?

Some members here have expressed that spinal surgery is better/best performed by a neurosurgeon rather than an orthopedic surgeon, or at least to have a neurosurgeon on the surgical team. In my opinion, a neurosugeon or neurologist should at least be consulted before agreeing to surgery.

Other members here may have additional or different advice and opinions.

Best wishes,

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote