View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default I don't know whether to file for Social Security or unemployment

Due to the symptoms of my disability, my employer placed me on an involuntary unpaid leave (my work-site would not be covered by FMLA). Currently, I am trying to assess what benefits I should apply for, as I am unsure if Social Security or unemployment would be more appropriate. My leave is slated to last for four months, but it is not yet set in stone that I will return at the end of that period; whether I come back immediately or whether my leave is extended depends on how my employer deems me to function at that time. A part of me is scared that I might not be permitted to come back at all. My supervisor made it clear that they would disregard any doctor's clearances if they didn't think I was ready to return.

My primary care doctor cleared me to return to work, but since I received the clearance (about three weeks ago), my mental health issues have really been exacerbated, probably by the stress of having no income. While I am considering applying for temp work, just to tide myself over for a few months, I am not sure if I would be able to function optimally in my current state. It's not that I can't get out of bed and am totally incapacitated, but when I try to go about my daily routine, I function inconsistently--not a good state to be in if I want to keep a job, even a temp job for just a couple of months. The nature of my mental health issue is that it tends to flare up when I am under a lot of stress, so getting accustomed to a new work environment could cause me to destabilize--or alternatively, perhaps having a routine and some income again could help me improve. It's really difficult for me to tell at this point.

Would unemployment or Social Security benefits be the better option? Social Security just sounds like such a hassle, so I am inclined to say I would prefer applying for unemployment since the approval period is not as long, provided of course that I meet the criteria. I am a bit worried because I technically still have a job, it's just that I'm not working currently. Since I haven't lost my job, how would the benefits process work--would I have to present a letter from my supervisor explaining that I'm on leave? My concern would then be what if the state contacts my supervisor? My supervisor would explain that he believes I am currently unfit to work, so then the state my deny my claim (since unemployment requires that you actively seek work and are ready to work at any time). I don't know what to do, since I'm not completely disabled, but on the other hand, my supervisor regards me as such.
Noideawhatisgoingon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mz Migraine (10-20-2013)