View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 08:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default ADHD and Concussion

Hi,

I was recently prescribed Strattera by a neurologist with a background in psychiatry for my increasing problems with ADHD which is most likely slowing my recovery.

I was diagnosed with ADHD in the forth grade, but never put on medication. By the time High School rolled around the problem seemed to be all gone and I was able to function at a very high level.

It should be noted though, that I was constantly on the go, maintaining a 3.5 GPA, training roughly 12 hours of endurance a week for a d1 Nordic (cross country) ski team, as well as being in a couple of singing groups etc. during my freshman year of college (im 19 and received my injury in may)

While its likely that the impact of the concussion itself worsened my adhd as I know often can happen, what seems to be more of a problem is that I have no outlet for my energy and have noticed my ADHD symptoms have been getting worse, especially over the last month and half, and naturally I have yet to see progress in the healing of my concussion symptoms (5 months ago) which was originally said to be "very mild"

I constantly felt agitated, antsy, and could find no way to keep my mind from racing endlessly, which also impacted my sleep in a very bad way. Fortunately a nueropsycholist connected my restless with my childhood diagnosis which I had all but forgotten about.

As mentioned, I was then prescribed Strattera (a non simulent add med) and have been taking it for 5 days.

While I have noticed that I finally am able to rest which is a HUGE relief, I cant help but notice that the medication seems to have a very tiring effect on my brain, which aside from fatigue just means that my brain likes stimulation even less than it used too, which seems concerning.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem with ADHD and PCS? and if so was there a particular medication or other resource that you found helpful?

Fortunately I am scheduled to start OT for visual spacial and interesting enough attention on Wednesday which should prove to be helpful

I appreciate any help I can get, and wish you all the best in your recovery.

Jamie
JDMC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote