View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default What were your symptoms?

What symptoms did you have at diagnosis (for those diagnosed after they were an infant), and what symptoms do you have before you know you need a shunt revision? In particular, do you feel that you see extra large halos/ fuzz around lights at night or that its particular bothersome?

My story is different. I was diagnosed at 18 during my first semester of college (Fall 2010). I was always an honors student. When I started college I was commuting, and somewhere in the middle of the semester I started getting these weird headaches around the same time every day, as I was walking to my car. As time went on, they would get more frequent and I would get dizzy too. I thought I was hypoglycemic, so I would eat every few hours. I even told my mom and several friends I thought I needed to see a doctor for the dizziness problem from now eating (I was eating plenty - I gained 10 pounds). I also felt what I could only describe as brain fog - not being able to think clearly as usual and just seeming not completely there.

Well, I decided to transfer schools at the end of that semester. I drove up at the end of the semester with my mom for orientation and then I stayed with my friend for another week. The night before my mom left (around Dec 5th) I drove back from dropping her off at the airport and realized my vision was very fuzzy. I also felt the brain fog and a headache. When we drove back from FSU to my house that night (Dec 10th) we decided to go at night, and all I can remember is having a headache the whole way and the oncoming lights and street lights really bothering me. They seemed really big and I think I remember seeing halos around them.

Dec 11th I went to the doctor. He took one look in my eyes and told me I needed an MRI. Diagnosed with obstructive hydrocephalus and had an ETV in February. The papilledemma tipped off my first doctor.

Had relief of headaches for a few months now I get them again.

Now I'm getting them increasingly. I also feel that I see halos and stuff around lights but my mom keeps telling me it's normal. I can't remember what's normal though!!!

I have an appointment with my neurologist tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. Hoping for no more surgery but wishing I had an answer as to my constant headaches and weird vision problems (if it is a problem).
koconnor36 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote