Thread: Horses
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 04:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown Horses

Well,not that is can remember it, but my fall was during a cross country lesson. I had a young horse and was super keen on getting back to eventing as he seemed so great in the country. I had had 2 lumber fusions in 06 and 07, so had note vented for some time, but had stuck to showjumping.

Apparently the horse dropped his feet over a jump and we turned turtle together. I got a hoof in my face, which caused an orbit fracture, an although I had a skull cap on, the kick caused a richo Chet effect in my head, and I had numerous haemorrages all over. I was in a coma for 5 days, and in hospital for 3 weeks, because expenses were high and in South Africa unless you can pay, there is no treatment. I dont remember anything of my first two months, but apparently I did start to get myself around after being paralyzed on my right hand side.

I have been on a horse much to the surgeons disgust, but I can't say I really enjoyed it. I seem to have lost the passion I once had. I felt no fear, but because I ran a stable yard I felt I had to try and ride. Now I have sold my livery yard and horses, and moved over to the UK. My sister has a horse here, and my involvement is teaching her as I am a BHS Intermediate Instructor.

When I can work again I may take up horse instruction, I'm not sure. I can't speak too well at the moment, but have not forgotten anything about riding or horses. We'll see.

I can't believe this has happened.
Nutkin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote