View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 07:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Small Fiber Neuropathy

Hello,

I am 42 and have just been diagnosed with Small Fiber Neuropathy in my legs and feet.

It started a few years ago when I started having burning heat in my feet that forced me to find any cool spot I could to stick them on, in, near anything that might help cool down my feet and stop the pain. I then started having rocks at the bottom of my feet feeling and went to my foot doctor who told me I had no padding on the bottom of my feet and to try some orthotics.

I was frustrated but what could I do? They did x rays nothing showed wrong with my feet.

During that time I started feeling really run down and was having some severe heart arrhythmias. I was sent for an ablation and during the procedure things went nuts and I had to be cardioverted 4xs to get my rate back to normal it spiked to 600 I was told by the doctor to the point it quivered. They aborted the ablation and decided I had too many bad spots in my heart to ablate.

During all this they also found very low B-12 lvls 140. I started treatment for that and I am currently giving myself injections once a month. My levels are going up slowly and I had hoped that with the injections I might feel some relief but sadly that is not the case and we have ruled out neuropathy due to low B-12 even though I still have and will remain in treatment the rest of my life.

I have a positive Ana with speckled pattern but no known reason for it as I show no real classic signs of any of the auto immune disorders associated with that so doctors hesitate to diagnose anything but do have me on plaquenil.

I suffer from arthritis and fibromyalgia which has been under control for many years.

So that is the history fast forward to 3 months ago. My feet went totally and utterly nuts. The pain has increased to the point I can barely step on my feet. I kinda shuffle to walk the pain is so bad. The pain and burning has traveled from my feet up my leg to just below my calves. I can't sleep, I can't hardly walk. I have seen two neurologists including one in Boston who have diagnosed small fiber neuropathy with no cause known at this point.

I am on Gabapentin and narcotics to help with the pain. In the past month the Gabapentin and narcotic combo has stopped working and I am now being sent to a pain management clinic.

Does anyone here go to a pain management clinic? What can I expect? I am scared to death of the thought of nerve blocks or any type of injection into my spine? Is that what they do? I am hoping for some more gabapentin type meds and a stronger narcotic. I am scared of anything else. I am willing to sleep this off honestly.

If you have made it through this thank you for reading. If you have any insight or things I might try to help me it would be appreciated. I told my doctor today this is like living with the worst toothache you can imagine and living with 24/7 and never having the option to have it pulled to get rid of the pain.

Oh and too boot today on top of all the wonderful news I got. I have Shingles now as well they popped out yesterday doc diagnosed today and I have started treatment for that as well. Lucky Me!
Ouchiefeet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote