View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Molly,

The cold air test will most likely be negative on the root canaled tooth because there is no vitality to cause the tooth to be temperature sensitive. A bite test on the rc tooth is also usually inconclusive unless the tooth is overwhelmed with infection or fractured.

Dentists will often tell their patients that the rc tooth looks good because they cannot see the microscopic canals clinically or radio-graphically. So they wait until the xray shows evidence of the infection spreading into the bone and then tell the patient. ALL dentists know that there is dead nerve tissue inside of those tiny canals. As I said, the rc procedure is done to temporarily retain a tooth. It is not the cure for the infection.

If the xrays that your dentist took today are digital, then make sure he emails them to the OS. A paper copy may not be of diagnostic quality. The OS may also want to take his own xray.... that's ok.

Re the blood work..
The CBC has some markers that indicate infection and/or inflammation. Sed Rate is a marker for infection.... CRP is a marker for inflammation.
However, blood work can be within the normal range even when a person has an infection. The marker generally does not go up until the infection is severe enough to affect the blood. Were the results within normal limits?

Is your GP aware of your root canaled tooth? Is he aware of the sinus surgery to remove the cyst? Unfortunately, physicians are not educated about teeth.... they know very little about dental procedures. So he may not make the connection.

I don't think you are being a hypochondriac at all. You have every reason to be concerned about these teeth especially given your sinus history.

It would be helpful if you did some research on the Dr Mercola and Dr Meinig sites regarding root canals. They would give you information that you could present to the OS when you see him... otherwise, he may just go along with your general dentist.

I cannot stress enough that the patients who are well informed.... receive the best and most honest dental care.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyW2013 View Post
Ok, saw my dentist today. He took Xrays, and did a few tests where they make you bite on something, blow cold air on you, etc....
He says Xrays look good. He said I had no response on tooth that had a root canal. He said I had some issues with the cracked tooth. I told him I didn't want to do the crown till I had another opinion. So, he is sending me to an OS for a consult.

Quick other question, my GP recently did a lot of blood work, due to the indications of the MRI scan of my brain, which she is referring me to a neurologist for. The blood tests were C Reactive Protein, SED Rate, and CBC. Would any of these be elevated if there is an infection? I can get the results tomorrow if I drop by her office.

Thanks so much! I appreciate your comments. I am a bit wary of all things medical, had a few traumatic experiences before that turned out to be the error of the doctor... so I've turned in to a bit of a hypochondriac.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote