View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Taylor,

So sorry to hear about your battle with RSD.

I know what it's like. I'm 18 years old and have had RSD since I was 12. Started in my left ankle from a sprain, then spread to my right arm and possibly my back (back not diagnosed as have Orthopaedic problems which could cause same symptoms).

I live in the UK and like you, am currently out of college due to a combination of RSD and blood pressure problems (I have POTS and can collapse a lot). Thankfully I have supportive tutors who have let me study from home at a pace that suits me, although it can be stressful as they don't always mark my work nor do I receive any feedback. Maybe working from home is something you could look into if possible and with the right support? Least then you wouldn't totally fall behind in all your studies? I'm wanting to go to University next year so am hoping that I can at least resolve or minimise some of the pain by then so that I can function properly.

I'm glad you have a supportive mum. Mine helps a lot too... would be lost without her. I do understand your frustrations though, when your in pain you certainly DON'T want to move what hurts, even though its best for you. I kinda had to learn the phrase 'Use it or lose it'. When my RSD spread to my arm, my hand looked into a fist and stayed like that for months. Drs tried splints, PT, everything but nothing worked. Eventually with mirror box therapy and retraining the nerves how to 'work' properly by touching things, my hand gradually started to open out again.

If you ever want someone to talk to i'm here. I know what its like having RSD at such a young age. Wanting to go out with friends / boyfriend but not having enough energy or being in too much pain to simply do so, missing out on parties etc because you don't feel well. Its awful. I really hope things start improving for you.

Alison
Brambledog (10-22-2013), dd in pain (10-22-2013)