View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 11:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Medassist,

Regarding the implant to replace #19.... the jaw bone heals layer by layer and very slowly which means that the new bone forming does not really solidify for several months. In my opinion it is best to wait at least 3 months before placing an implant as this gives the bone some time to grown in a bit before it is disturbed again. When the implant is placed into minimal bone that is still soft with not much height to it, you then risk having too little bone surrounding the circumference of the implant. Sometimes the bone will fill in around the implant up to a higher level, other times it will not. I think it is best to have a periapical xray done at 3 months post op.... then if necessary again at 4 - 6 months to see the density and height of new bone.

I am an advocate of dental implants when they are done properly in patients who are good candidates for them. I do not believe that everyone is automatically a good candidate and that thorough medical/dental screening needs to be done prior to considering them. Although they are a foreign matter in the bone, they do not require blood for nutrition as teeth do. So in my opinion they are a healthier alternative to root canal therapy.

Bryanna
Well Amen to that one. I am waiting on the other teeth to see how they do. Will have amalgam removed from 17, and will continue to wait on the implant. Doc says he will be checking it out next week, do a cone beam etc. and tell me what he thinks. I ok to wait I guess, it is worth it.
I also wonder if I had a miserable time with the root canal done on 19pTE, would I more than likely respond the same way if I attempted another RC in the future for example if others go south.
should I risk another attempt at RC through my holistic dentist or just bybass it entirely?
I get the whole focal infection theory and believe that you are basically rolling the dice when it comes to having a successful job done. We still have dead teeth in our mouth. Maybe looks better cosmetically because we get to "keep our teeth" but not solving the "root" of the problem if you will.
Thanks again,
Elizabeth
medassist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote