View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 12:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi thatcher,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some help here.

It sounds like the crown on that molar is over extended, meaning it may not be fitting very well on that tooth. This could have been a problem for a very long time and/or the bone loss from the extracted tooth could have resulted in this crown fitting poorly.

It also sounds like you have inflammation there. Could be food impaction, could be plaque build up, could be decay, could be infection.....

I would suggest that you see your dentist this week for evaluation of that area and discuss the fit of that crown on that molar. He should take a periapical x-ray at the onset of the visit before he goes poking around too much to see if there is any radiographic pathology present. If you can and want to .... post the x-ray here.

You can also rinse a few times a day with warm salt water. That won't cure the problem but it may help it to feel better. And avoid chewing in that area for another week or so depending on what the dentist sees at your visit.

Questions.... was the extracted tooth a root canaled tooth? Is this crowned molar a root canaled tooth?

Please check back with us....
Bryanna

THANK YOU Bryanna! I will def. check back with my dentist asap. The extracted tooth was a root canaled tooth that developed a crack - excruciating pain, I am glad to have it gone! The crowned molar also was root canaled almost 20 years ago and the dentist thinks it may need to be re-root canaled. I am nervous about this plan because of what I have read about root canals and infection. The tooth also extends into my sinus so I want to be extra careful. He has said that he is concerned that extraction followed by an implant might impact the sinus more than trying to re-root canal. What are your thoughts on this? I really appreciate your work here!
thatcher10 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote