View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 03:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Staying 2 nights

When I was recently hospitalized for 5 days I was reminded of issues of hospital bed shortages that I hadn't thought about in 7 years.

When the census of the hospital gets very high and there are scheduled surgeries in the morning the management (nursing) begins to look around for people who could be discharged that night to avoid having no empty beds for emergency admissions and beds for post operative patients.

In case on your second night in the hospital you are approached and told you are going to be discharged request/demand to see the hospital supervisor. This is the nurse who is supervising the hospital and they might be able to advocate for you if this happens. This person could also help you for other problems that were not resolved through the chain of your personal nurse, the charge nurse, manager of the floor you are on (surgical) then the house supervisor.

On the topic of scalene blocks, when Dr Jordan did my scalene block 12/00 I was referred to him by Dr Ahn (Dr Ahn was not doing them at that time)
I has only been recently that I have heard of Dr Ahn doing scalene blocks.

There are two surgeons in on your surgery. I'm assuming that the second surgeon would be his associate Dr Reil.

Is Dr Reil doing surgeries on his own or is he an understudy of Dr Ahn? Since Dr Ahn comes from UCLA (a teaching hospital) is Dr Reil going to be assisting Dr Ahn or is he going to be gaining rib resection and scalenectomy experience by doing most of your surgery with Dr Ahn teaching & advising?

Sorry to be a pain for you. As a nurse I am used to critical thinking and I want to make sure that Dr Ahn's hands are doing the surgery and not Dr Reil's hands with Dr Ahn directing and advising.
ocgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote