View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 12:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A nibble or a bite

Carolyn's input on this subject seemed so much "in line" with my thoughts about PD visibility, i.e., a "lesser scale"approach. There is no doubt that the more formal, higher level of visibility by those engaged in proactive activity on a larger scale, e.g., corporations, research institutions, etc. is so important and absolutely necessary...but, it has been my contention that PD must be brought to the attention of the "everyday people"....those with who we come in contact on a personal basis who have not a clue as to what Parkinson's Disease is and how it affects not only the lives of those afflicted with this disease, but also the lives of their caregivers. I admittedly knew NOTHING of this disease before my pwp was diagnosed. I had seen "old people" whose hands shook, but I attributed that to "old age"...still not knowing or realizing what the real cause of the trembling hands was...and only the trembling hands were noticeable to me giving me absolutely NO idea of the extent to which PD can affect a human being in so many other ways. In my experience, too, there have been NONE in my life...family, friends, acquaintances...who have had ANY knowledge of this disease, and I am so often tempted to write a generalized "brochure" for these people to read..and, more specifically, to include in this writing my own personal experience with PD as a carepartner to a pwp...to put a "personal face" on PD in an attempt to make clear the devastation of this disease. One of these days, I hope to write and print even a brief brochure...for family, friends, acquaintances and coworkers..and, too, I am thinking seriously of writing an article for our local paper(s) that have a very large reading audience. It almost angers me, at times, that all the other "wonderful causes" seem to have so much more exposure than does the cause of Parkinson's Disease. Perhaps my view on all this could be considered to be a "nibble" rather than a "bite"...but many nibbles could result in that larger bite that is needed. I sometimes think that we don't believe that we on that lesser level that I referred to earlier can make a difference...and as long as this is our belief, of course, we cannot and will not make a difference. It has occurred to me that my not having taken any action as I have proposed I would like to do is the result of my thinking that one person cannot make a difference. I, for one, intend to change my own thinking about all this because I would like to think that I COULD make a difference along with many others on the "lesser level".

Therese
Virginia Therese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote