View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenfriend View Post
I heard a News person talking about that 60 minutes program. Then he said that the SSDI will run out in a number of months. I looked it up on the internet,and saw that they can only pay 80% of SSDI after 2016. This freaked me out.

Has anyone researched this,or talked to a paralegal person about this? Brokenfriend
Congress can vote to transfer funds from the retirement pot to the disability pot. They have done that in the past. SSA's actuaries predicted this 'shortfall' years ago. Congress would have to vote on it. Talking to a paralegal would do nothing. A lawyer could do nothing.

I predict Congress will act the way they usually do - make a bunch of headlines and sound bites, create a large amount of unease, argue with each other, thump their chests, and in the end, vote to move money from one pot to another.

Now none of that helps the long term solvency and whether our children or grandchildren get the same deal that current beneficiaries are getting since this is unsustainable in the long term.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brokenfriend (10-24-2013), finz (10-24-2013), ginnie (10-24-2013), Kitty (10-25-2013)