View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupings View Post
Hi Dr. Smith, I started taking Complex B about 2.5 months ago - after the PN symptoms had started. The previous reading was 434 pmol/L. I looked around for a methyl form of VB12 at the pharmacy and several natural food shops this morning, but couldn't find it. I may need to order it from US.
A couple of things... In searching the archives for Australia methylcobalamin, I find many posts mentioning that iherb.com ships to Australia (I've never purchased from them so I cannot comment either way).

That search also turned up the following: (clicking on the > will take you to that post/thread)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_12 View Post
A minor point: In the USA B12 is measured in picograms/mL (pg/mL)while in Australia the units are picomoles/L (pmol/L). According to the AFP paper by Oh you need to multiply Australian results by 4/3 or 1.3 to get USA values. So your 256 pmol/L is equivalent to approx 340 pg/mL in the USA. Wikipedia gives a similar conversion factor. Your value is still low.

Make sure you are taking at least 1000 micrograms of methylcobalamin per day on an empty stomach as Mrs D recommends. I take 5000 micrograms/day. There are no known adverse effects of high doses.

Martin
Quote:
I will increase V D3 and see how it goes. The funny thing is, Dr. Smith, my symptoms tend to be quite mild in the morning and as day progresses, the symptoms progress as well. So poor posture? tired muscle? increased stress? When I wake at night, most of the time, I hardly feel any symptoms though.....
Any/all/none of the above.
One thing about PN that stands out (on this forum and elsewhere) is that it's a bit like fingerprints—no two people are (affected) exactly the same, though there are/can be similarities. The same can be said for spine issues. PN symptoms can also be affected by a wide range of variables (in addition to those you mentioned)—diet, time of day, hormones, endorphins, circulation, weather, et al.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Wide-O (10-29-2013), yupings (10-26-2013)