View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 09:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Sinus perforation healing time?

I got my wisdom teeth out less than a week ago, and at the time the surgeon informed me that a small perforation in the sinus occurred when the tooth was removed from the top. (That tooth was mostly impacted.) He said he placed a membrane there and did some sutures, but the entire socket wasn't sutured shut. Also been on antibiotics and post-op instructions like no straws, blowing nose, etc... I was told these mainly heal on their own, that its a minor complication, and he wasn't too concerned.

About 3-4 days later the swelling went down in all the sites. The other sites are healing quite nicely and uneventfully. The one site with the perf. though has begun to drip slowly a salty fluid which Im assuming is from the sinus. Although Im not really trying to do this for fear of making it worse, but I am not noticing any air going either way, just fluid coming down. So it doesn't seem to be a very large opening. There is still some soreness in that area but I dont think anything is infected, the fluid coming down seems to be clear to clear-yellow tint. Nothing coming out of the nostrils at all.

My question is, how long does this kind of perforation take to heal? And wonit it be prevented from closing by the sinus draining? I've read it could take 2 months or more. Im going to be out of antibiotics well before then, won't that lead to infection? Does the surgeon need to surgically close this at this point?

Anyone ever experience anything like this or have input...I'd appreciate it.
runner292 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote