View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Agent,

I am so sorry to hear about your girlfriend's concussion. It can be so scary, especially when it changes someone you love so much. You sound like a good caretaker. You've come to the right place, and you've come early which is great. Read the sticky "Things you wish you had known when you first got a concussion" this will help you get a quick grasp on the overall picture. Browse the previous posts. You'll learn a lot.

What will be important is that your girlfriend knows not to consume caffeine or alcohol even when she starts to feel better. These things will bring on PCS or make PCS return. There are other things not to consume, but you will read about them if you browse the posts. Doctors will likely not tell you what you read on here, but the suggestions here are good recommendations that we have experience with.

With your girlfriend being a perfectionist, her biggest challenge is going to be not to overdo it and anxiety with her loss of control. Her greatest strength will be her ability to follow the advice here and self discipline. I am a perfectionist and I have learned to let go much more than ever in my life. She will have to learn the same. It's a tall order when she is starting a company. That might be on hold for a while, or she may be able to creatively think of a new solution that doesn't involve her working a lot.

Browse the posts; you will learn a lot and be able to help her a lot. I have also found that concussions - or PCS - has shed light on my life, just like it has allowed you to see your tremendous love for your girlfriend. That is a blessing so hold it and appreciate it while you go through this with her.
In July 2013 ran into a metal bar at a playground, remained conscious. CT normal. Headache subsided after a week. In August woke with thunderclap-type headache in right side of head, right eye was droopy. Ever since had electrical-type pulsating all over when falling asleep and during sleep. Strong muscle twitching occasionally. Chest pain in heart region, front left neck region, and left shoulder. Strong heartbeat noise in head and occasional weird noises in ears. Taking Gabapentin to control nighttime nerves. Other symptoms: anxiety attacks, goosebumps, fine motor coordination problems, sleep apnea, headaches/migraines, fatigue, unclear thinking.

Update as of Jan. 2015 - almost all symptoms gone except for some tinnitus. Taking good care of myself except sometimes when I overdo it.
Vanilla Bean is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Agent007tj (10-29-2013), poetrymom (10-29-2013)