View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 03:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Curby,

Is your son active or athletic? 4 weeks ago I was diagnosed with veinous TOS after my arm suddenly ballooned up due to a blood clot. I had no previous symptoms at all and I do not have cervical ribs. I'm a fitness and dance instructor, super active lots of arm movement and upper body activity. When I asked why it happened my surgeon said it's part anatomical luck of the draw and part specific activity that can cause the muscles in the thoracic outlet to grow or become inflamed enough to cut off the circulation. I had a venogram that clearly showed the vein being compressed at the first rib, a clot buster treatment and then surgery for a partial first rib resection. My arm immediately shrank back to normal size and a very thorough ultra sound post-surgery revealed that my circulation was perfect.

I don't know if it's the same for your son but for me it really was just muscles and first rib being to tight for my vein. If there is one thing I've learned from this it's to voice all concern and ask all questions until I'm satisfied. If your son isn't needing immediate surgery perhaps you can get a second opinion to verify? Wish you the best and a speedy recovery to your son!! If you or he have any questions about the experience I am happy to share mine.

take care, Emily
Emilina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
curby (10-30-2013)