View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 05:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What an excellent question but one that has no easy answer.

I am VERY, VERY fortunate as I have 3 docs that are fabulous. I trust them, they listen, they help, they keep me alive, they respect me, they are the best of the best.

I also have seen many docs that do NOT get my approval and I refuse to see any longer. Example: My lifelong eye doc passed away and I have spent years trying to find one that I like enough to stick with. My most recent one was a complete disaster on the first visit. Thought maybe she was having a bad day and went for a second visit a year later. Was even worse. I will NOT return. She was referred by one of those 3 docs I dearly admire so not all referrals work out.

By accident one day, I discovered in talking with a friend that she and I had seen the same doc. She did not like him at all. Guess what..... he is one of my favorite 3. My point is not everyone fits with even the best of the best.

I suggested to a friend that she try my doc, another of my 3 favs, when she was looking for one. She liked him OK but was not overwhelmed and has since changed to another that she likes much better.

Finding a doc that meets all our requirements; knowledgable with our conditions, listens, can get an appt in reasonable time frame, nice, worthy of our trust, etc. etc. is a very difficult task. I am still looking for two docs that will fill my needs for two specialty areas of medicine for several years now. I have 7 docs. 3 are super duper top of the charts. 2 that are OK but nothing to rave about, and still looking to replace the other 2.

Angie's list is customer driven and only money is provided by the customer, NOT the business or physician. I would not discount it out of hand. Vitals on the internet is a source that lists comments by patients. You can get an idea of what patients have to say about the doc there. Referrals by other docs, friends, family, are all good sources, too but keep in mind that the relationship between a doctor and a patient is a very personal thing and no two people may feel the same way about a particular doc.

Good luck in your quest but I would look at Healthgrades, Vitals, etc. on the internet as a possible source if you want to check out a doc.

Some people like docs that are in a group practice and have access to the other docs when needed. I personally want to see MY doc, not an associate so what works for me may not work for others.

Finding the right one is a daunting task. Good luck. Keep trying till you find what you want and need.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
abbyrition (10-31-2013)