View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Default Jack Andraka, Wunderkind

Old news, I spoze. I missed the news when it happened, but I happened to catch an interview with wunderkind Jack Andraka on The Colbert Report the other day that blew me away.
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...3/jack-andraka
Quote:
Jack Andraka explains how he devised a new way to detect cancer, which earned him the grand prize at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair. (05:38)
From what I was able to glean from the interview, the simple blood test takes only 5 minutes to perform, and costs only 3 cents.

From his own website:
Quote:
Jack Andraka is a Maryland high school sophomore who at age 15 invented an inexpensive and sensitive dipstick-like sensor for the rapid and Jack Andraka explains how he devised a new way to detect cancer, which earned him the grand prize at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair. (05:38)early detection of pancreatic, ovarian and lung cancers. After a close family friend died of pancreatic cancer, Jack (then a ninth grader) became interested in finding a better early-detection diagnostic test. He learned that the lack of a rapid, low-cost early screening method contributed to the poor survival rate among individuals with pancreatic cancer. After thinking further about the problem, he came up with a plan and a budget to put his ideas in motion. (more)
And his Wiki page... Jack Andraka

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 11-01-2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Addition
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote