View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 09:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Lightbulb Sugar "experiment"

I know PN affects different people differently, but this might still be of interest to you, especially if you also have arthritis.

My weight loss went so well and so smoothly that my wife started making noises about "becoming too thin". At one point I was indeed down to 93 kg, and going lower would start to be silly; I could both see and feel it.

She was right. I would say that 95 kg - a BMI of about 22-24 depending on new/old measurement, is my ideal weight at this point. (it's also my current weight)

I know it's a luxury problem, but still. I started to eat a little more, no change in pain levels, not really gaining weight. Then, slipping, I started to eat sweets again in the last 5 to 7 days. Hey, I was becoming too thin, right?

After 3 days, I could start to feel the difference in pain in the morning. It's not just the PN, I can also feel the arthritis coming back in my fingers. Nothing else changed, it's not weather related this time, I'm living a pretty stress free life, no change in supplements: I'm 99% sure it's the chocolate, ice cream etc.

It's also pretty amazing how eating those sweets also makes me long for sugary drinks. I could see the slippery slope, and how easy it is to fall back into old patterns if I'm not vigilant. I know a thing or two about addictions and how they feel, and I would definitely say that for me sugar is mightily addictive.

The increased pain levels are a good wake-up call. From now on I'm back to the diet that worked so well for me (which is mostly Zone, but with a few variations of my own, like refusing to eat egg substitute instead of the real thing, but that's a whole different debate).

Anyway, many of you already know how diet can affect your pain, but for the new people, I would want to suggest again to perhaps try a low carb diet (most importantly: try to eliminate or severely limit sugar - and processed foods - in all its forms) and see if it works for you. For me it worked very quickly as previously documented, and now apparently also the other way 'round.
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
glenntaj (11-02-2013), mrsD (11-01-2013), newstown (11-10-2013), Stacy2012 (11-01-2013)