View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 03:35 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Banding continued

I will make an attempt to sum up what we know and suspect in a form that can pass for instructions to at least begin experimenting. Please give feedback as you try this and I will revise as needed.

1) The basic idea is that PD symptoms, for reasons unknown, can be, in whole or in part, prevented, lessened, or delayed by the application of a sensory stimulus. The form of that stimulus so far has been the wrapping of cloth bands around various parts of the body. It is quite possible that other forms of stimuli have a similar effect but haven't been found yet.

2) The simplest example of this is the placing of a rubber band around a wrist to observe the action on a tremorous hand. More elaborate uses have involved headbands, various wrappings of arms or legs, and suspender-like arrangements. It is not always necessary that there be tension on the band. Just a lightweight strip of cloth loosely draped has proven effective. For example, in the videos you see upper body dyskinesias stopped by a simple shawl across the shoulders.

3) We do not yet know how much the effect varies between individuals so what works for one may or may not for another.

4) Banding a part of the body may relieve symptoms in a seemingly unrelated part. Anne believes that maximum benefit comes from banding the area of the worst symptoms.

5) The effect almost has to derive from the brain as opposed to the limb or there would not be this non-local response.

6) Bands can be simple rubber bands, cloth, rope, etc. In one case draping a very large sheet of paper over the area produced an effect. Gloves have been found to ease typing problems is another example.

7) A good test is to stand on one leg and time yourself both banded and not.

Well, I wish I could tell you more but we are writing this one together, folks!
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote